Read about our adventures! Because someday we might be famous, and you'll wish you could bank off our life story!

Friday, August 27, 2010

The Engagement Story Part I: How We Met

Sorry for our recent lack of posts everyone, its been an exciting week. We got engaged!
To tell you our engagement story, first we are going to explain the story of how we met. By doing so we are using a feature Bob and I have discussed that might be the best way to explain some of our flashback stories. The He Said/She Said Method!


He Said: It all began over 3 years ago (May 3rd 2007 to be exact)  in Iowa City...home of the Iowa Hawkeyes (we like the Hawkeyes if you couldn't tell from the last post). In a relatively crappy frat bar called Sports Column.

She Said: My friend Mandey was wanting to go to a bar called Bo James because the previous week she had been entered in a contest to potentially win a trip to Vegas. She conned me into going out that night by saying if she won she would take me with her! So even though finals were approaching and I needed to be home studying, I went out.

 Some pre-going out pictures, who wouldn't want to talk to me tonight?!

Me at Bo James
Mandey and me

He Said: A friend of mine had the unfortunate experience of finding out his girlfriend was a little less than faithful. So it turned into a night to help him forget. My friends loved to go to Sports Column, which they referred to as 'the north bar' (never totally understood that). I very often met up with them later in the evenings after they had had their fill at SpoCo. I hadn't been there for months before 'that night' or months after. I think most of the guys loved SpoCo because it was primarily a bar for the 'underclassmen', so obviously where else would a bunch of rowdy guys take their friend who was sure to be on the rebound? Drinks were had.

Where everybody pukes on your shoes!

She Said: After sadly not picking the right key out of a lock contest and not winning the trip to Vegas, Mandey and I decided to pull a senior (or in my case super-senior) prank and tell everyone we knew we had won a trip to Vegas! We called, we texted. And honestly to this day I'm not sure if we really ever fessed up that it was all a hoax. Now after the best senior prank ever, we decided to go to Sports Column. This is bar that we frequented for the sole reason that Mandey's boyfriend (now husband) Chikezie was a bouncer there. (And of course Thursday night dollar you call it!) We knew all the bartenders still, even though he was living in Des Moines, so we always felt pretty safe and protected from the creepers there.

We were sitting on the opposite side of the main bar, and were chatting away about who knows what. And I notice a guy at the back bar keeps looking over at me. I decide to mention it to Mandey to see if she agrees or if I'm just seeing things. She scouts out the situation and decides, yes this dude is definitely checking me out. I notice he is wearing a TOOL shirt, which I point out that I am wearing a ROB ZOMBIE shirt. She suggests I go talk to this dude, we clearly have something in common, music. I immediately say no, I've hardly had a drink and have no courage to go up to someone at a bar. She INSISTS I go talk to him and throws me a dollar. She says to go buy her a drink, a highly intelligent ploy to go up to the bar where he was standing.

I walk up to the bar and squeezed in between TOOL dude and some other random dude. The conversation follows:

Me: "Hi."
TOOL Dude: "Hi."
**silence**

At this point I'm staring at TOOL dude through the mirror behind the bar. He was in NO way further acknowledging my presence! This called for some woman in distress action. The bar was pretty crowded that night, I saw he wasn't looking at me, and the bartender wasn't close to helping me yet, so I did it. I faked getting pushed into him!

Me: "Opps I'm sorry!"
TOOL Dude: "That's ok"
**TOOL Dude proceeds to turn and talk to friends, further confirming that he was not interested in talking to me.**

Finally with drink in hand and completely mortified  I walked back to Mandey, defeated. I explained the story to her and how I was so embarrassed that the guy in the TOOL t-shirt shot me down. I mean really? Did that just happen?! Who did he think he was?

Mandey: "Whatever, HE'S a Tool!"

The rest of the night TOOL Dude kept looking over at me, which only infuriated me more. What a jerk! He looks at me all night, then refuses my come-ons, and then continues to look at me! What a tool indeed!

And then I found twenty dollars..... No really, I found a twenty dollar bill on the floor when we left!


He Said: ..............................
                 (Crickets chirping)
                ......................................................................


She Said: In the following weeks a friend kept insisting I meet her boyfriend's roommate Bob. He was supposedly a really nice guy and we had a lot in common, particularly music. One night I went with my friend to the boyfriend's apartment, a bunch of us girls/guys were going bowling. When I walked in to the apartment I looked around and see this guy sitting in a hat, white shirt and khakis, he looked familar.... Everyone was talking, and the guy on the couch, who someone called Bob, didn't want to go. Suddenly it dawned me, the guy on the couch was TOOL DUDE! Aka Bob, aka the roommate my friend wanted to set me up with!!!
So I'm standing there freaking out in my mind. Clearly TOOL Dude recognized me and didn't want to go because he remembered my pathetic attempts at talking to him at Sports Column. I told my friend I needed to talk to her as soon as we got outside. Once inside the car I asked my friend if THIS was the Bob she wanted to hook me up with. She said yes and realized she didn't even introduce us! I answered with, "Well I've already met him..."

He Said: I honestly thought Christy looked familiar, and I found her very attractive. I had no recollection that I had ever met her in the past...or blown her off at a crappy frat bar. I didn't want to go bowling for the simple fact that I had gotten off work 15 minutes previously...had not showered that day, and had no laundry done. In other words I looked like a complete slob.

She Said: I told the story to all the girls in the car, and then again to all the guys at the bowling alley. The guys were in hysterics! Bob was apparently not so smooth with the ladies, but they assured me if he kept looking at me all night- he must have thought I was good-looking. The guys were ready to head back and fully make fun of Bob for this. Even though I kept insisting it was probably because he just wasn't into me.

He Said: A few weeks went by and I had heard from my friends the story that Christy had told them, of me completely dropping the ball at the bar. (didn't make me remember it any more) My friends, as most guys, are very bad at the simple act of description, I did not know who Christy was for some time.

She Said: We saw each other again at a Birthday party, all the guys were trying to convince me to talk to Bob when he got there. And I kept telling them, 'I don't think he liked me.' They insisted he was drunk and claimed to have no memory of meeting me that night. I must talk to him. So when Bob finally arrived late in the night I tried to talk to him, again didn't seem that interested. Perhaps because he still didn't know that I was the infamous Christy, until....

 Christy at Brothers, another fine Iowa City Establishment.

He Said: A few weeks later I was invited to watch Mystery Science Theater 3000 the movie and drink rum root-beer floats....

She Said: ...this was probably mid-July, when finally we were formally introduced. We hung out at a bar called The Deadwood after the movie and floats...

The Deadwood Tavern, exactly like the HBO show, except for totally different.

He Said: ...and I sorta, maybe, instantly fell in love :)


She Said: The summer went by with many more great stories, and after some unwanted group drama we only stayed friends, but kept running into each other throughout the next year. I'm sure you could have cut the sexual tension with a knife when we were near each other. We would go through spells of spending nights texting and talking online till the wee hours of the night. We bonded over movies, philosophy, life, music, and thunderstorms.

 July 26, 2008
This was our last night in Iowa City together before Bob moved back to Des Moines. 
This was the night we just 'knew' we couldn't live without each other anymore.

He Said: And after a year of borderline pathetic longing...We finally got together.

Bob after Christy agreed to go out on a date with him.


Stay tuned Average People fans, for the second part of The Engagement Story...the actual engagement story!



1 comment:

  1. Awww! To be honest I was probably pretty drunk at Sports Column too because I hardly remember that night! LOL!

    ReplyDelete